

Lisa See does it again! I love Lisa See. I discovered my love for her when I first read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan (which is a new movie out this fall and I am dying to see.) I know I've mentioned this before, but I must say again I love reading about Asian culture. Lisa See not only writes intricately about Asian culture, but she also writes intricately about relationships. Those two combined makes for magic. In her books, she explores all types of relationships...friends, lovers, sisters, family, etc. Perhaps explore isn't the right word? She is so talented at writing about a relationship that it makes you contemplate your own relationships and the sacrifices you are willing to give to make them work. I don't think that makes sense, so your just going to have to take my word for it and read for yourself!
Now onto the books. Shanghai Girls is the first book of this 2 book series. It follows 2 sisters from Shanghai in the 1930's and their family's fall from wealth. They are lessened to having to be sold off to 2 Chinese brothers and being shipped off to America (narrowly escaping the Japanese bombs that fall on their beloved city.) This whole ride you cry with the sisters, you laugh with them and more so you sympathize for them. You get an inside look at history that you may or may not want to know about.
Dreams of Joy is the second book following the daughter of one of the sisters who runs away from her family to escape back to a communist China in search for her birth father. I don't know how many times I leaned over to Tate asking him "did you know...?" questions about communism in China. I had no idea the heartbreak this country went through during the 1950s. I have to say I enjoyed Shanghai Girls more because Dreams of Joy's main character was so frustrating. She was the type of character you want to reach into the book and slap. Bad choice after bad choice and you just want to ask "why are you so dumb?" Kind of like Scarlett in Gone with the Wind. Hate Scarlett, hate Gone with the Wind. But, I powered through it and was happy I did. You can't read the first book without reading the second because you have to know how this tragic family's story ends. All in all I loved this series. If this inspires anyone to read any of Lisa See's novels I would definitely start with Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It will make you call your best friend at the end and tell her how much you love and appreciate her.
No comments:
Post a Comment