Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Night Road



I started off with this book by accident. As I was browsing the new arrivals at the library I happened upon this book. The inside cover didn't do much for me, but the library was out of everything else I wanted so I figured, why not?

I am so glad I found this book! It was such a haunting yet lovely story. It explores deeply into family relationships, friendship and the meaning they have in our lives. The characters are very relateable. One character is tragically moral than you can't help but weep with her while the other is a mom guilty of only loving her children too much. The author reminds me a lot of Jodi Picoult, but without the harsh, unfair endings Jodi loves to give her readers. The two write a lot each other stylistically even by switching from each character's point of view. However, Kristin was able to entwine the romantic vision with the harsh reality. My close friends know I am a sucker for tragedy, but even more than that I am a sucker for tragedy that ends beautifully.

I loved this book for many reasons, but the main reason was because it left me thinking (for days!) I am so glad I read it as a mother because I don't think I would have been able to relate to it without being one. This is the type of book that left me wanting and needing to be a better mother. More than that though it left me never wanting G to grow up! Simply put, the story moved me. I don't think I will forget about this for a long while.

I must warn though it had me crying the entire time. Seriously, the entire time. Do not read while in public. I strongly suggest it for a book club because it will have you talking for days. I give it 4 out of 5 stars!!


No comments:

Post a Comment