Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet


"He'd do what he'd always did, find the sweet among the bitter."

I have been wanting to read this book for a while now, and I've finally gotten around to it. I am so glad I did. What a wonderfully, heartwarming story about finding love, losing love and never giving up on love. In the back of the book, the author includes an interview where he states that his intention with the book was to write a story focused on "people- love and family relationships." He did just that while also including a vivid historical perspective of the 1940's.

It's a story about an American-Chinese boy falling for an American-Japanese girl during a time when all Japanese descendants were viewed as the enemy. I love stories about Asian culture (Lisa See and Amy Tan are some of my favorites.) I don't know why, but I've always been wrapped up in their rich traditions. This book was a blend of both Chinese and Japanese cultures trying to survive in a country that didn't want them. It was so informative.

All the characters are so wonderfully written and supported. Love Sheldon! The author did a great job of providing a story with deep and thought-provoking characters. It's written in the split-narrative of past and present. The chapters are titled and nice and short. I love short chapters. I think it makes the book move so much more smoothly and faster. It was the perfect vacation book.

As we all know, I am a sucker for a love story and this book had all the makings for an epic love story. War, family tensions, forbidden love, time lost, strict culture...need I say more? I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes a movie. This was the type of book that when it ended I let out an exaggerated sigh and said "that was good." 4 out of 5 in Mal's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment